I remember the day growing up when my favorite color changed.
I stuck with the same color throughout most of my childhood and even though I knew I didn’t like it anymore, I had a hard time letting go.I had let it become a part of my identity.
It’s easy to let things slip in and become a basis of who we believe we are.
Recently I have had two instances of this.
I have been exhausted a lot more often than not with 2 little ones and a desire to stay up late. With that I started to lose my memory. I have taken pride in being able to recall things very well and remember details better than most. It was part of my identity. With that slipping away I felt like I was losing a part of who I was.
One morning I had set an alarm to wake up and I had quickly shut it off so as to not wake anyone else….and I fell back asleep. Resulting in me being incredibly late to where I had to be.
This wasn’t a scenario I was used to. This wasn’t “me”.
Both times I felt God whisper to me “That’s who you are? A good memory? Punctual? Responsible? Are you finding your identity in me?”
Even if I’m late or can’t recall every detail of a conversation I had the day before, I haven’t lost my identity in God.
Because of what Jesus has done and my belief in it, I am God’s own child. Just because I have moments of imperfection, of sinning, of falling short and not meeting my own standards or even God’s, I am not abandoned by Him. I do not lose my identity as a beloved child of God.
What is something you subconsciously held onto as part of your identity that you had to let go of this year?
What is something you are still holding onto as your identity?
Reflect on how God feels about you, what your worth is in His eyes and how it comes from NOTHING you’ve accomplished or done.. Soak in His unconditional love for you.
Popular posts from this blog
The business of things has definitely seemed to pick back up, if it ever even stopped or slowed down. I find myself consumed by distractions of daily tasks and everything that is going on around me. As well as focusing on the past and what I would like to have gone differently or worrying about the future and trying to plan ahead. The one things God has called me to do it to take moments for Him. To just pause at different times throughout the day and focus on Him. To remember what He has done for me, to remember that He is with me now, to receive the Holy Spirit. Someone mentioned to me recently that they were having a rough day. Not really for any particular reason, just a mood really that had been hanging over them since they woke up. They felt negative, depressed, overwhelmed, and just alone. So they took a moment and stopped. They listened to worship music and really focused on it and worshiped God. The "gloomy cloud" hanging over them was gone and it didn't retur...
Something I have been struggling with lately is being screamed at, what feels like constantly. My 3 year old has decided that screaming is her way of communicating every emotion. I'm upset - scream. I'm bored - scream. I'm excited - SCREAM. I also have a 3 month old that is just finding his voice and is witnessing it all. Which has of course turned into him wanting to scream. I want attention - scream. I'm happy - scream. If they're not both screaming just because why not scream back and forth for fun, then one is screaming demanding my attention. It's exhausting and sometimes defeating. At least that's how I feel as an imperfect parent. 1 John 3:1 See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! Psalm 116:2 Because He has inclined His hear to me, Therefore I shall call upon Him as long as I live. Psalm 18:30 This God—his way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true; he is a sh...
My mind started to wonder, what kind of an impact did that good act have? How much was done by obeying God? How amazing would it be if one day, in heaven, we got to see just how huge of an effect those things had. The domino effect it had. How many people it truly reached and how much it really changed things. How much God’s kingdom was affected by it. Then I had another thought… I really don’t want to see the effect my sin had on things. I don’t want to see how much I ruined something or hurt someone. How much I messed things up by not obeying God. God immediately interjected. Or do you want to see? See how much I am really working. See how great of a God I really am. See how despite you falling short, sinning, My plan was not ruined. See how I still saved that person and brought them to me. See how someone else was blessed in getting to be the person to do that. John 16:33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. B...
Comments
Post a Comment