Matthew 18:3 Then He said to them , “I can guarantee this truth: Unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever becomes like this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven...”
With this verse it’s definitely easy to jump to, “What do I need to do to have the faith of a child? What is the faith of a child?” It’s easy to become focused on the law and accomplishment side of it and “what do I need to do.”
For the first time I saw a different way to look at this verse.
God prompted me to focus on Him. He is our Father and we are His children. How does He look at His children and their faith?
As a parent you quickly realize that while children may be “pure” from not having witnessed certain things in life, they definitely aren’t sin free. They are born with it and start to sin very quickly.
As a parent your responsibility is to teach your children right from wrong and guide them down the right path.
Proverbs 22:6 Train a child in the way he should go, and even when he is old he will not turn away from it.
This is exactly what God does with us.
The faith we are to have is the faith that children have in their parents. They trust their council. They believe in what they’re teaching them. They seek their wisdom. They trust them and find comfort in them.
The real beauty of it all is thinking of how even when children respect and love their parents. They still don’t always want to listen, they still talk back or don’t take their parent’s advice. They still seek the advice of their friends instead, etc.
Yet this is still the faith that God calls us to and is talking about. He knows we are not perfect and the grace and mercy He has for us is so beautiful and so needed.
Even when we stray, don’t listen, talk back, etc. God is always there for us to run back to. To say “I’m sorry. You were right.” He allows us to grow in the realization and appreciation of His knowledge as we grow in our relationship with Him.
Have the faith of a child of His existence and love and grow as a child does in a relationship with Him and an appreciation of His wisdom and who He is.
Popular posts from this blog
The business of things has definitely seemed to pick back up, if it ever even stopped or slowed down. I find myself consumed by distractions of daily tasks and everything that is going on around me. As well as focusing on the past and what I would like to have gone differently or worrying about the future and trying to plan ahead. The one things God has called me to do it to take moments for Him. To just pause at different times throughout the day and focus on Him. To remember what He has done for me, to remember that He is with me now, to receive the Holy Spirit. Someone mentioned to me recently that they were having a rough day. Not really for any particular reason, just a mood really that had been hanging over them since they woke up. They felt negative, depressed, overwhelmed, and just alone. So they took a moment and stopped. They listened to worship music and really focused on it and worshiped God. The "gloomy cloud" hanging over them was gone and it didn't retur...
Something I have been struggling with lately is being screamed at, what feels like constantly. My 3 year old has decided that screaming is her way of communicating every emotion. I'm upset - scream. I'm bored - scream. I'm excited - SCREAM. I also have a 3 month old that is just finding his voice and is witnessing it all. Which has of course turned into him wanting to scream. I want attention - scream. I'm happy - scream. If they're not both screaming just because why not scream back and forth for fun, then one is screaming demanding my attention. It's exhausting and sometimes defeating. At least that's how I feel as an imperfect parent. 1 John 3:1 See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! Psalm 116:2 Because He has inclined His hear to me, Therefore I shall call upon Him as long as I live. Psalm 18:30 This God—his way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true; he is a sh...
My mind started to wonder, what kind of an impact did that good act have? How much was done by obeying God? How amazing would it be if one day, in heaven, we got to see just how huge of an effect those things had. The domino effect it had. How many people it truly reached and how much it really changed things. How much God’s kingdom was affected by it. Then I had another thought… I really don’t want to see the effect my sin had on things. I don’t want to see how much I ruined something or hurt someone. How much I messed things up by not obeying God. God immediately interjected. Or do you want to see? See how much I am really working. See how great of a God I really am. See how despite you falling short, sinning, My plan was not ruined. See how I still saved that person and brought them to me. See how someone else was blessed in getting to be the person to do that. John 16:33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. B...
Comments
Post a Comment